Buyers Getting Started
We know that change can be hard. The team at StorageStuff.Bid is making the transition from live auctions to online auctions with you. Our licensed, experienced auctioneers realized that we had to change with the times. It doesn’t matter if you have been buying storage units for 10 years or 10 days, online storage auctions are the way of the future and they offer many advantages to buyers:
- No crowds, no lines, no parking nightmares, and no extreme weather.
- No driving around all day and wasting gas just to have auctions cancelled.
- No time away from selling your merchandise.
- No traveling around with large amounts of cash in your pocket.
- You have time to look through all of the pictures and think about buying the unit.
- You can attend multiple auctions at one time and our responsive website allows you to bid from your tablet or smartphone.
StorageStuff.Bid is not just an online marketplace. We have principal auctioneers on staff that you have probably seen at live auctions. They are available through our Customer Service Team at (877) 758-4243 or through email using our "Contact Us" form for any issues, questions, or concerns that you have.
How It Works
If you want to buy units on StorageStuff.Bid, just go to Create New Account in the upper right-hand corner. Choose I am a Buyer, enter your information and click to accept the Terms and Conditions. You will not be required to enter a credit card until you want to place a bid. We do not have hidden fees for buyers. There are no monthly fees or membership packages required to bid storage auctions on StorageStuff.Bid. You will pay StorageStuff.Bid 10% of the unit sale price for a buyer’s premium. This will be collected on the credit card you entered in your account. Some storage facilities may require a pick-up deposit in addition to the buyer’s premium. If a pick-up deposit is required, it will be collected on your credit card as well. The storage facility will determine what percentage of the sale price will be required as a pick-up deposit. The facility will then subtract the pick-up deposit from the amount you owe when you arrive at the facility to pay for the unit. Please note, there may still be a refundable cleaning deposit required and it will be returned to you when you have fully cleared the storage unit. Please remember that you must be 18 years of age or older to bid on units at StorageStuff.Bid.
Before you can bid, you must have a credit card on file. To add your credit card to your account, go to Account Settings and choose the Payment Cards tab.
We have a soft close policy on all units. This means that the auction will wrap up just like any live auction. If any bids are received in the last 1 (one) minute of bidding, the bidding will be extended by 3 (three) minutes. Please be sure to refresh your screen if you are watching a unit close.
The unit you are bidding on may be cancelled at any time. The self storage facility will remove a unit if their delinquent tenant pays their bill any time before the auction end date and time. The storage unit might also be cancelled due to a paperwork or legal issue.
If you win a bid, we will provide you with the contact information for the facility. You will need to contact them as soon as possible to set up arrangements for payment and pick-up. You will pay the facility in cash for the unit and any applicable sales tax. You will have 24-72 hours to clean out the unit. It is best to contact the facility immediately after winning a unit to find out what their policy is regarding pick-up times. If the facility asks you for a cleaning deposit, it will be returned to you upon inspection of the clean unit.
Rules and Regulations
- Please be sure to read all Terms and Conditions before bidding.
- You must be 18 years of age or older to have an account on StorageStuff.Bid.
- Everything is sold “AS IS, WHERE IS.” There are no guarantees or warranties.
- All sales are final.
- You are bidding on the entire contents of the unit.
- You cannot use the facility dumpster. Doing so may result in forfeiting your cleaning deposit.
- You must pay sales tax on the purchase price of the unit, unless you have a valid resale exemption certificate.
- The seller has the right to set a reserve price on any unit.
- We ask that you leave behind any personal items, such as family photos, tax documents, or anything with personal information on it.
- You must have the unit cleaned to a swept condition within 24-72 hours.
- Please observe all facility rules while you are on the property.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I forgot my username. How do I find it or reset it?
Your username is the email address you used to sign up for your account.
2. How do I reset my password?
If you would like to change your password, go to Account Settings. Choose the password tab. Enter your new password and then save your changes.
If you have forgotten your password, you may contact our Customer Support Team at (877) 758-4243 to help in resetting your password.
3. How do I find storage unit auctions near me?
You can search for auctions on our homepage or anywhere you see Find Auctions.
4. How much does it cost to browse storage auctions on StorageStuff.Bid?
It is free to browse auctions on StorageStuff.Bid. Type in your zip code, city name, state, or keywords and look for auctions. If you want to bid, you will need to create an account and log in.
5. How much does it cost to BID on units on StorageStuff.Bid?
It’s free to bid; however, if you are the high bidder and win an auction, we charge a 10% buyer’s premium on the price of the unit. There will be no monthly fees or membership packages.
Some storage facilities might require that we collect a small pick-up deposit from you as well. If a pick-up deposit is required, it will be collected on your credit card at the time of the sale. The storage facility will decide the amount of the pick-up deposit. You will be alerted when a pick-up deposit is in effect and the amount of the deposit. If an additional deposit is required, it will be subtracted from the amount you owe when you arrive at the facility to clean out the unit.
6. Do I need a credit card on file to bid on storage units?
Once you register for an account on StorageStuff.Bid, you can start bidding on units. However, you will not be able to bid until you enter your credit card information and your personal contact information. If you know you are ready to bid, you can go to Account Settings and select Payment Cards to enter your credit card information. You do not have to enter a credit card simply to look at units.
7. How do I change the credit card I have on file?
Go to Account Settings and choose the Payment Cards tab and click to replace your existing card.
8. How does the bidding work?
You must bid in increments of $10. You can simply enter a single bid in multiples of $10 or you can set what you wish your maximum bid to be. If you enter a maximum bid and your current bid is passed, your bid will automatically increase until you reach your maximum bid. You can increase your maximum bid at any time by returning to the unit and entering a higher max bid.
9. How can I tell if I am the highest bidder?
When you are viewing the unit, it will say You are the high bidder
Please remember to periodically refresh your screen if you are watching a unit count down to the end. If you are outbid, you will receive an email alerting you immediately when the bid amount changes.
10. Where can I see what units I have bid on?
Click on My Dashboard to access your dashboard.
11. Do I have to pay sales tax?
It depends on the state you are in. Every state has different rules regarding the taxation of auctions. However, the answer is most likely YES. You should always check with the storage facility if you are not sure.
12. The unit I was bidding on was cancelled. What does this mean?
This means that the storage facility cancelled the unit from the auction. This is most likely because the delinquent tenant paid their bill. If an auction you are watching or you have placed a bid on is cancelled, it will say “Cancelled”.
13. What is a cleaning deposit?
A cleaning deposit is a deposit collected by the facility when you come to pay for your unit. The cleaning deposit usually ranges from $25-$200 and will need to be paid in cash. The deposit will be returned to you once you have the unit cleaned to a swept condition.
14. What is a “Watch List?”
If you are particularly interested in a unit and would like to “watch” and see where the bid goes, you can add it to your Watch List. To put a unit on your Watch List, simply click on “Watch” beside the “Bid Now” button. This will allow you to find it easily when you log in to StorageStuff.Bid and go to My Dashboard.
15. I am a tenant and my unit was sold on StorageStuff.Bid. Can you tell me who bought my unit?
We cannot disclose this information. You should contact the facility directly regarding this matter.
16. Can I pay for my unit with a credit/debit card?
Probably not, but you should ask the facility. Auctions are usually cash only, but some facilities might be willing to take a credit card.
17. What should I do if a unit does not match the pictures on StorageStuff.Bid?
If possible, you should have the facility manager accompany you to remove the facility lock from the unit. You should verify that the number on the Lock Tag ID matches the one from the online auction listing. If the unit does not match the photos from the online listing, do not remove anything from the unit. Take a picture of the unit for comparison and address this issue immediately with the facility manager. Hopefully, it will be a simple misunderstanding. If necessary, please contact our Customer Service Team at (877) 758-4243 for further assistance.
18. I don’t want to take everything in the unit. Can I leave some stuff behind?
NO! If you do this, you might lose any cleaning deposit you paid and you risk getting banned from future sales.